fot

RE: Engine run-in

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine run-in
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 22:16:58 -0800
Uncle Jack wrote:

>The method they teach
>is to NOT put ANY oil on the cylinder walls, but to smear just a few drops on
>the piston skirts. Then when you start it up you MUST run it at 2500 - 3000 for
>several minutes, which we all know you should do for breaking in cams too.

That was what Sonny Collier told me to do with the Norton (motorcycle) cylinders
he bored for me.  Sonny built many of the top race engines of the time, so
that's exactly what I did.  It was a real bear kick starting Nort that first
time, but it was a nice tight engine.

I didn't do that with my TR3 engine, because it seemed so barbaric when I did
it, but I did run it for 1,000 miles before switching to synthetic.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A
1980 TR8