fot

RE: Wandering TR3

To: "'Kas Kastner'" <kaskas@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Wandering TR3
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:49:03 -0800
Boy, that'd do it. I can change the caster on my TR3, because I made the
upper arm from two adjustable links that connect to a Rose (Heim) joint.
for more or less camber you turn both links, to change caster you turn one
in and the other out. I don't recall what I set that at, but I measured
the trail at about an inch at rest. Trail may be more of a motorcycle
term, it's the distance between the center line of the upright and the
contact patch of the tire. It's directly proportional to caster.

When I simulated my suspension on the computer I noticed that Caster
changes a little as the suspension moves. That's not really supposed to
happen, but the difference in upper and lower arm length seems to cause
it. Lengthening the upper arm reduced the change.