fot

RE: engine weight/things that go boom

To: "'Rocky Entriken'" <rocky@tri.net>,
Subject: RE: engine weight/things that go boom
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:31:20 -0700
Rocky has a great point there, that I missed in reading the email. Little
nicks and scratches don't mean the other parts are okay. It doesn't occur
to me that someone would consider reusing the adjoining bits without
remanufacturing them after an engine goes away. But that's only because I
learned not to do that the hard way many motorcycle races ago. Doesn't
mean that I really remembered it under all circumstances.

Sure, at trackside, you do about anything to salvage the weekend and make
some laps. But even if the only symptom is a slightly stuck piston (as in
my Radical two weekends ago) doing the teardown means measuring and
perhaps replacing all the other stuff that might be at end of life.

As is typical, I forgot that lesson last week and reassembled my engine,
only replacing the pistons and honing the cylinders. When I ran the engine
on the dyno there was a tiny pinging sound above 7,000 RPM. Tore it all
apart and found the piston in the previously seized bore was lightly
touching the head.

Stretched rod.

Damn. I had a reason for not tearing everything down. the rod bolts are
stretch-to-yield, which means you can only torque them once, and I
couldn't get replacements in time to race this weekend. Guess what, I'm
still not racing this weekend, and I have a complete rebuild to do,
including probably replacing that piston, even though it was just a light
graze--only hard enough to clean off the carbon. And this time I'll check
the piston/head clearance even after I make sure all the rods are good.

There may be an exception to the "check and replace everything" rule. The
new rods I'm eventually going to put in this engine make Carillos look
like a bargain. But they're titanium. According to a mechanic who has been
using them in motorcycles for some time, you can salvage these rods after
an engine goes boom, even when it's a big boom (and bike engines rarely go
quietly, especially when they're between your legs). They fish through all
the broken bits to find the rods (which nearly never break--titanium rods
be very strong), clean them up, straighten them, and stick them in the new
engine. The grain structure of Titanium makes that feasible, and the price
makes it necessary.