fot

Re: Brakes Work "Too Good"

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brakes Work "Too Good"
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:36:19 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I'm tossing out a trial balloon - so ignore this message if you don't like
mindless bantering.

I chorded a second set of Goodyears this weekend. Actually, I chorded only
the right front - but this one was majorly chorded. With the resultant
high speed vibration that one might expect from a severly flat spotted
tire at 75+ MPH.

Yes, it was a fast autocross course!

At any rate, I'm clearly locking up the wheel in the same place and
thereby getting uneven wear. On a hunch, I measured the runout of the
brake disk on that side and found .005 total runout. That doesn't seem too
bad.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do. The cold-stop pads seem to
work "too good" with the stock calipers and the vacuum brake booster, so I
have a couple of options.

1. resurface the brake disks to get 'em "true".

2. remove the brake booster vacuum line, or at the very least try to
regulate the brake vacuum to something less than what I'm getting now
(which I have no idea what the value of vaccuum is).

3. convert to semi-metallic pads in the theory that they won't be as
"grabby" and thereby lessen the chance of lockup under moderate pedal
effort.

4. Toss the stock brakes altogether and load up some Toyota 4 pot calipers
and a differnt master swilinder arrangement...

I'm figuring the near term solution to be a combo of the first three
options. I really don't want to get into a major plumbing operation for
the brake system now that we are in the driving season... but one has to
do what one has to do.

These tires are expensive!

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |