fot

RE: Racing tires

To: "'Allen Washatko'" <awashatko@tkwa.com>,
Subject: RE: Racing tires
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:01:27 -0700
Your choices are fairly limited then. You need to find out what the
organization permits. I don't know about VSCDA, but most have limits on
profile and width that really limit the scope. It's likely you're limited
to 60 series and 5.50 as a wheel width. Currently for racing tires under
manufacture available in the USA that means Dunlop's and Hoosiers. Both
the Yokohama 008 and the Goodrich TA R1 are no longer being manufactured.
You can also buy some street tires, but you won't like the result. I just
picked up my wheels with Hoosier 5.50 15 TDs mounted, and they sure LOOK
nice. I'll know better tomorrow when I skid around on 'em some. Of course,
one persons desert is another's poison. I like tires that slide a little
with control. It's fun, even if it's a little slower.

So we'll see. The first tires I put on my TR3 were some totally unknown
brand, like Ajax or something. They sure did provide a lot of amusement,
but after ten years of driving front wheel drive race cars they felt like
something that belonged at a country fair. I still put them on every so
often when I feel like I need a little humility. I know exactly what Bill
Damdinger meant about Dunlop's being a built-in excuse. Fun but slow.