fot

TR6 thrust washers

To: "FOT" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 thrust washers
From: "Gary& Gretchen" <garygret@itis.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:47:35 -0500
Amici,

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone out there have one of the
0.030-over thrust washers that were made for TR6's some years ago? All the
usual sources including Ken G. say they haven't seen any for years. Could
save me some expensive restorative work on a chewed-up crank which needs to
be either ground to 0.040 total undersize on the thrust surface or built
back up to standard. The old washer seems to have done a fair bit of
free-hand machine work on the crank and bearing cap as it liberated itself.

Ken has super-duty thrust washers in normal sizes so I'll go that route if I
have to build up the crank. I've also heard of adding a second thrust washer
by milling the bearing cap and pinning the washers. Any words of experience
or advice on that technique? Thanks, all!

Gary Schneider
'72 blue Autocross TR6
'62 white EP TR4