fot

Re: Speaking of German Cars....

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, spitlist@gte.net, Chasgee@aol.com
Subject: Re: Speaking of German Cars....
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:18:06 -0500
At 03:11 PM 7/24/02 -0400, EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:
>        What do you think would happen if we started showing up at the BMW
>events with our Triumphs? (I assuming they still have ownership rights to the
>marque).

Interesting to contemplate. It could range anywhere from total segregation
or disdain to mild amusement.

When we got home from our last 2000 mile trip in our TR6, I jumped into our
(aging) 92 BMW and headed for the grocery store. I was both amused and
delighted at the difference that 23 years of progress makes. One thing
hasn't changed, however. That BMW was ten years old and over a period of
three years ownership, it cost me $6000 for maintenance. In that respect,
it was exactly like my aging TR6. I know, I know, our TR's are supposed to
be as reliable as a freight train. Ha!

I just came back from a trip across town. The brake light stayed on all the
way. I removed the switch from the PDWA to see if the plunger was centered,
and of course the switch broke in half. And, of course, Moss lists them as
N/A. All this on the same day I decided I have to bite the bullet and take
out that OD trans that weighs a ton to replace my throwout bearing carier,
trans snout, and clutch. At least I know how to do it, since this will be
the second time in three years, while the BMW is virtually unfixable by the
home mechanic.

Okay, just kidding, just kidding. I think anyone who takes a BMW to an
enthusiast event would enjoy our chunk of history. Kind of like going to
the zoo and looking at the elephants -- fun to look at but wouldn't want
one in my garage.

uncle jack