fot

frozen wire wheels

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: frozen wire wheels
From: "Tom Strange" <tstrange@new.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:02:45 -0500
Back to the street car again,
  Has anyone had any luck removing wire wheels from the rear of a tr6 when the
splines are frozen solid.  The car has been sitting a few years & the rears
just dont want to come off at all.  The front came off (one with some
persuasion) but I cant budge the rears.  The discs in front allowed me to get
to the center hub of the wheel to persuade it, however I cannot get behind the
wheel hub with a brake drum in the way.
  Jim Hill offered the suggestion of a day or two of penetrating oil, which I
am in the process of doing, but what other tips does everyone have?????
  I have tried the penetrating oil (kroil), by itself, with heat, and with a
combination of heat on the wheel, and cold inside the bolt on hub flange....
all to no avail.  I dont want to ruin the wheels, they should be kept in tact
with the car in case of eventual sale so they could go with the car.
  What do I do next?????????????
Thanks in advance.
Tom