fot

Pauter Rods

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Pauter Rods
From: VANDECARR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:14:01 EDT
I bought a set of Pauter rods this Spring.  They arrived about 4 weeks later
than they were promised which but my work at the machinist to the end of the
line. The rods seemed well made.  My machinist grumbled about the fact that
they weren't balanced to his specs and the large ends were off by .0001.

I got the engine parts back from the machinist in mid July.  I had about 5
days to get the engine built and in so I can have a little time on it before
an important race the first week in August.  When putting it together I found
out that the small end was .050 larger that stock and wouldn't fit in the
pistons.  I called and they said I could return them and they would fix them.
 That would have left me with out a motor for the next 2 weekends and I
wouldn't make the Divisionals.  They didn't want to pay to have me fix the
problem.  If cost me $90 to have my machinist fix the problem.  If you are
getting some "off the shelf" TR 6 rods make sure they are fixed because they
have the wrong measurements on the spec sheet.

I think the final product is good and should last but I would have felt
better if they would have been responsible for the error and paid for the
mistake.  If anyone wants pictures of the rods along side a stock rod I can
email it to you.  They did look pretty before they went it.

Dean VanDeCarr
73 TR 6  - one street - on FP autocross