fot

Condensor Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Condensor Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:26:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I know a lot of you folk run electronic conversions on your race cars, but
I thought I'd thow this one out there for discussion.

I had a condensor failure on my street car yesterday, much to my dismay.
No harm, no foul - AAA-Plus came through for me.

The car is set up with a Mallory dual point distributor - no electronics.
Because this is not my first failed condensor with this setup, I thought
I might try to set the system up with two condensors and possibly a switch
to select one or the other condensor...

I have no idea if it would be practical to do this or whether I'd be
better off merely drilling the housing for a second condensor and just
swapping them by removing the wire from the insulated post each time...

If this makes no sense, please let me know so I can re-state the proposal.

Bottom line - what to folks with real points ignition systems do when they
have a condensor go bad.

Now - as to why the condensor fails? I have no idea. I'd like input on
that too. I have a funny feeling that I might have wired something wrong
initially when installing my electronic tach recently. But I suppose I
need to get to the bottom of the failin cond. It's a real pain to have
this part fail when you're entering a highway and trying to blend into the
idiots driving 70 in a 55 zone.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |