fot

Condensors ... ???

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Condensors ... ???
From: Robertten1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:28:25 EDT
Uh ... Bob,

A while back I asked this question to a couple of very knowledgeable folks
and the same answer came back three times --  check your ballast resistor.
They said new ones can be bad and more than not a lessor quality unit can be
bad from the get go and/or go bad very quickly.  They next thing that was
mentioned to check is to check all the ground connections, especially those
between the engine and the body/chassis.

I remember all your condensor failures over the last couple years and I
became very leery when I converted my Spit GT back to points, the same
Mallory distributor as yours.  But, in two years of use I have had no
problems, knock on wood.  Even with the addition of the MSD Rev-Limiter there
has been no problems.  Makes me wish I had saved all the hundreds and
hundreds of dollars spent on the electronic ignition and gone this route the
first time.  My Mallory has been trouble free from the get go with little to
no maintenance at all.

Still I plan to order some spare parts just in case.  My vote is to keep a
spare or two in your tool kit and make the swap while stopped at the side of
the road.  Thats after checking out your ballast resistor.

Good Luck Racer Bob,
Bob T.