fot

lifters, etc. + nomination

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: lifters, etc. + nomination
From: "Fred Hodgson" <STLNYC@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:35:57 -0700
As promised, I am passing on the results of my inquiry to Moss about problems
with lifters.  The batch that I got were some kind of anomaly.  The ones that
fit were the lightened competition lifters.  The ones that were too big for
the bores were nothing that they had ever supplied.  All they could assume was
that they had been taken in as returns from someone who said they had gotten
them from Moss and had been put into stock.  They checked for any others and
found none of that type anywhere.  Fortunately, that was all of the bastard
lifters.  They now have plenty of stock and lightweight lifters on hand.  As
far as hardness goes, the range is from 45 to 60 Rockwell C and the vendors
are declaring hardness to be 50 to 55 Rockwell C.  The contention is that over
hardening causes the face of the lifter to chip or flake which, in turn, wipes
out the cam lobes.  They also have proper "top hat" bushings available again.
Still no luck on synchros other than the TR-6 type which are too light for
anything past toodling about.
    Finally - I would like to nominate Kelvin Dodd to FOT.  He's a vintage
racer (that other British roadster unfortunately) and, more impoprtantly, he's
a parts manager for Moss & would like to be able to monitor any problems that
may arise.  E-mail address is:-
    DODDK@MOSSMOTORS.COM
Seconds?
Fred Hodgson