fot

Crank Nitriding

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank Nitriding
From: Chasgee@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:18:34 -0500
Not sure if this went through the first time, so I'm re-sending it so you all
know about my offer.

Thanks!

Hello all,

Another benefit is the free stress relief cycle you get with the nitride.  It
is true, I do ion nitride, and do a lot of cranks.  To me, the real benefit of
the surface hardening is to prevent or delay crack initiation at the journal
radii. This leads to longer life. The increased wear resistance is good too.
But remember, if the crank is already cracked, nitriding will do nothing for
it.  Make sure that your machine shop does a crack check before anything else.

I'll do them for any FOT member for $75 plus shipping.  Feel free to call me
and discuss if you wish. My number is (858) 586-7272.  You can also ship direct
to my plant.  The address is:

Bodycote Thermal Processing
7384 Trade Street
San Diego, CA 92121

As Jack said, make sure they are packed well.  You don't want damage from
shipping.  Also the cranks should be machined to dimension.  All that will be
required is a final polish which your machine shop can do for you.

Thanks,

Chuck Gee
Spitfire Racer

Funny, all my cranks are nitrided....