fot

Re: Accusump Plumbing

To: "Peter Vucinic" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>, "FOT"
Subject: Re: Accusump Plumbing
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:39:57 -0600
I've got your #1 variant in my Spitfire. It has the added advantage of
including an oil cooler into the system. I have a tee in the line right at
the sandwich plate going into the block and the Accusump comes off that (so,
cooled and filtered oil goes in the Accusump).

BTW, you can do it cheap or pricey, and the thing that seems to make the
most difference are the hoses and fittings. Accusump costs what it costs (I
have the 3-quart, manual valve), and oil coolers are surprisingly cheap. But
Earl's and Aeroquip are really proud of their pretty red and blue aluminum
fittings. You can get similar stuff -- same threads and angles, but in steel
and not so pretty -- in the hydraulic aisle of your hardware or farm supply
store for much less!

when I first did mine (many years ago!) my prime use of the car (race
prepared) was autocross. The hoses and fittings I used came from a local
hydraulic shop -- primary customers are farmers for their tractors. They
were perfectly fine, very high burst strength hoses far above the 80 pounds
of pressure I normally run. the main "problem" was simply that they did not
bend easily. 45- and 90-degree hose-ends fixed most of that, but one hose
was only a foot long and had to bend 90 degrees in that length.

So that was my first steel-braided hose from Earl's, which cost more than
all those tractor hoses put together. BTW, the tractor hose is steel braided
too, but the steel is within the rubber outer so a tech inspector cannot see
it. That was the genesis of my second Earl's hose, the unit that went into
the passenger compartment to the actual Accusump itself, to keep the
scrutineers happy when I went road racing.

A couple years ago I finally did the entire system in Earls hoses and his
pretty red and blue fittings. (Aeroquip works just as well). Did it when it
was just affordable for me.

--Rocky