fot

Re: blatant etc

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: blatant etc
From: Justin <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:00:08 -0800
Rocky, ( unfortunately, it wasn't "private"... you sent to all...so I must reply
to all in rebuttal)

I don't think reminding the group about once a quarter, to catch the newcomers,
that I give AMICI $10.00 off my gasket (that's 33%!) has been overdoing it...
Of course, I just did it again here, but I had to point out that it isn't a
trivial discount.  That I've offered that discount non-stop since the gasket's
inception, to AMICI only... I think that says something.   I would hate to think
that newcomers would have to wait for someone to make a post about a leaky
gasket for me to take the opportunity to chime in... A. How often might that
be?  B.  Isn't that even more sinister and opportunist? Do you really want
retailers waiting in the wings to jump in with sales pitches as part of vaguely
related threads?  Personally, I prefer threads to remain about the subject at
hand (unless, of course, the product offered is absolutely the answer to the
issue at hand.)  This way, when people see my subject line, they can choose to
delete, rather than being suckered in because it's been made a part of a
thread!  Right???

If I thought for one moment that AMICI was offended by my posts, I'd withdraw
them.  I would not, however, choose to replace those quarterly announcements by
watching over posts and waiting for the opportunity to make a pitch.  I would
simply not say a word...  And if that meant some new AMICI bought my gasket at
full price, because they didn't know, so be it.   I, unfortunately, don't have
time to print out current lists and cross reference orders by the names of AMICI
members.  I have to leave the discount to word of mouth and for the person
placing the order to bring it up.   Other than reminding the list, my only means
of letting AMICI know of the discount is little comments on my sales (E-bay, web
site, etc.) that say "If Member of AMICI please contact me before ordering."
etc.

A new AMICI web site, accessible by password, would be a great way to provide
new members a sort of "welcome aboard" package... where they could learn about
AMICI and what retailers are involved with discounts for them, etc.   I would
love this.   You'd never hear another reminder about my standing discount
again!   Believe it or not, I'd rather not feel a need to make the posts.  It's
always been about making sure new members knew about it or that old ones were
reminded that it's a standing offer.  Frankly, if it was about profiteering, I
would either reduce that discount or not offer it at all, as the gasket sells
itself, and even at regular price, they'd still be out there on the tracks.  For
me, it's about supporting the hobby of racing these cars.   You can argue that
having my gasket out there and visible in the pits provides me with additional
"word-of-mouth" advertising, but as I pointed out, discount or not, the gasket
would be out there and represented.  I certainly factor in the advertising
potential, but it's not my motivation.

Frankly, I think a web page that lists discounts offered to AMICI would
encourage other businesses to throw in standing offers also.  It could be like
joining an auto club and getting discounts on rental cars, hotels, and the
such!  hehehe.... well you know what I mean....

"Hey, remember everyone, I have this marvelous.."  silicone valve cover
gasket... and I offer it to AMICI at a deep discount.    Yes, I have been saying
that about four times a year since about the time AMICI was coming into being...

--Justin Wagner