fot

Re: Triumph in the New Millenium-Another Century of Competition

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph in the New Millenium-Another Century of Competition
From: "Bolton, Rich" <rbolton@chartbank.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:06:21 -0500
A rookie point of view................

Being new to the sport of vintage racing, updating the competition manual
would be extremely valuable to someone like me.  I struggled for a while
trying to figure out away to get into the sport. All I knew was I liked
Triumphs and wanted to race them if possible.  My experience in automotive
mechanics was limited which made be hesitate buying a race car.   I liked to
tinker but never had the time or in depth knowledge to tune a competition
race car.

After attending Skip Barber last year, there was no stopping me in my
determination to race! I was bitten by the bug...........A bug that my wife
wishes she had a cure for!

With some good advice from some friends telling me to buy a car that was
already prepared (thank you Bob Lang!) I found a beautiful TR3a in Ohio that
was for sale. After a few inquires I decided to purchase John Harkness's
powder blue TR3a.

It was the best decision I made. It allowed me to race immediately in a car
that was competitive from the start. John gave be a ton of information and
was always available to answer my questions.  One of the manuals John gave
me was the Competition Manual. It helped me open my eyes to understanding
how to prep a Triumph. John had told me that he had used the Competition
Manual as a guide when he built the car which immediately became my bible.

With the help of John Harkness and Bob Lang and their nomination of me for
the FOT I was on my way.  WOW!  What a great resource!  I look forward daily
to read correspondence from the FOT list and have extensively used the lists
archives to research questions that I have had.  The FOT archives have been
a great resource for a rookie like me.......I noticed immediately the FOT
archives help fill in where the Competition Manual left off.

It would be great if the FOT archives could be combined with the Competition
Manual. What a resource for all of us.  This would help consolidate a lot of
information that would keep these great cars racing for many years to come.
It would help pass a wealth of knowledge to the next generation. I was lucky
for buying my car from the right person and having some knowledgeable car
buddies to help me with my mid life crisis racing career.  Not everyone
entering into the sport maybe so lucky.

The strength of racing with a group of Triumph enthusiasts is the support
that is given among the group. I have only been in three races and had a few
practice days (at Lime Rock Park) but the individuals I have raced with over
the past year have given me great support (and some great racing tips).  I
will always be grateful too all of these who have helped me.

.

I talk-up my new adventures everywhere I can. I have several friends who are
considering going out and buying a race car because they see the fun I have
been having.  By having the FOT, a great Competition Manual, and a group of
diehard Triumph enthusiasts it will only entice more individuals to race
these great cars. As far as I'm concern the more Triumphs racing the more
fun I'm going to have (or should I say....we are going to have).

So Kas............Please update the Comp Manual.

It could be as simple as taking montage of excerpts from the FOT and
incorporating them into the existing manual or expanded it to incorporating
some of the great stories that I have been reading on this list over the
last year.  It could include list of tips on suspension tuning, engine
maintenance and tuning, annual motor refreshing, and the "do's and don't" of
using an engine dino. The point is........there is a lot of information
scattered all over the place. Most of the info has been published in one
form or another it just has to be consolidated.

As everyone has told me............Track time is the key to improving those
lap times, but when you are sitting around in the middle of December with a
foot of snow on the ground, you can't help but go out into the garage and to
start tinkering with the "car"............ wishing for spring and dry
pavement.  I would love to have an updated Competition
Manual............Where do I sign up!!

Sorry for rambling on...........just a rookie point of view.

Rich Bolton

Stow, MA

1959 TR3a #33

1963 GTR4 Dove, 1968 TR 250, 1969 TR 6