fot

Re:Subject: Rear dif, hubs for TR6

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Subject: Rear dif, hubs for TR6
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:30:53 -0600
More on the annual diff debate.  If you run a setup that doesn't have you
entirely lifting the inside rear wheel, the quaiffe is a fine
diff.  Something with enough droop like an IRS rear would probably be fine
with a quaiffe.  As long as the inside rear tire is touching the ground,
you don't spin the inside tire.  In a solid axle TR-4, the inside rear
lifts fairly easily, and something that locks up more solidly is probably
better.  In that setup, I prefer the detroit locker over the quaiffe - lets
you run a stiffer rear end without the penalty of losing drive with the
tire spinning.  Quaiffe is still better than the open diff since the open
diff will spin a lightly loaded inside tire where the Quaiffe waits until
the tire is completely off the ground to open up.  I've not run the
Salisbury (clutch pack LSD), I am told that it works very nicely as
well.  I suppose that in long races the detroit locker would have an
advantage in less heat generation in the diff, in the usual 30 min vintage
race it probably wouldn't matter much.  Salisbury should be more
predictable in takeup than the locker.  The Quaiffe is completely
unobtrusive.  I've got to echo Hardy's sentiments that the locker isn't
that obtrusive in race conditions.  I notice it on the straight (fairly
good driveline bang going on and off throttle) or under low throttle mainly
on parade laps.  Keep your foot in it and it disappears from
consciousness.  For the TR-3/4 (and 6?) the Quaiffe and Salisbury are
available (for at least $1000 each), but I'm not aware of detroit lockers
being made currently for that rear.  Too bad.  When we set up the car with
the Quaiffe, the Salisbury was not available so the Quaiffe was the only
option.

- Tony Drews