fot

Re: Lever shocks on GT6?

To: John Kipping <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Lever shocks on GT6?
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:05:33 -0700
John Kipping wrote:

> The rotoflex rear suspension is modified front suspension from the Triumph
> 1300 FWD. It must have been discovered when trying to fit it to a GT6 and a
> Vitesse that there was room for mounting a conventional shock to the inner
> arch on the GT6, but the same arch that is used on the Vitesse is in a
> different place relative to the wheel and there simply isn't room, so some
> complicated bracketry was made and there was only space to get a lever arm
> in. Generic drawings were made showing the rotoflex suspension often with
> the lever arms drawn in, and these sometimes found their way into books
> about the GT6. So don't worry as a GT6 never had lever arms - however the
> GT6 rotoflex shocks are unique to these cars and have different eyes and
> extend longer than Spitfire ones.
> John Kipping

Thanks, John

I figured it had to do with some sort of early drawings since the thing
looks just like all the other line illustrations we have become
accustomed to seeing.  I suppose Chilton used that one because they were
trying to get their books to the printers and that is all Triumph had to
offer at the time.

The uniqueness of the GT6 rotoflex tube shocks is well documented.  I am
now studying the rear in an effort to lose the transverse spring and
replace it with coil-over shocks and upper control arms.  That should
make spring rate choices much easier to come by.

Regards,
Joe