fot

TR Cam Lobes

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Cam Lobes
From: Wes Dayton <oilyrag@hsrca.org.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:24:01 +1100
Pure and simple curiousity is driving this question - why are some lobes of
a TR 4-cylinder cam "offset" and don't line up with the tappets?

The only explanation I have heard is that it causes the tappet to turn.

Unfortunately I don't have an engine available to look at right at the
moment, but as I recall it's only some of the lobes that are offset, which
would seem to put paid to that theory - why would you only want some tappets
to turn?

I think that some of you run billet steel cams - do you make them the same
way? Certainly wouldn't work very well with roller tappets!

Wildest theory gets the prize.

Wes Dayton - Sydney

p.s. No - they don't turn in the opposite direction in the Southern
Hemisphere.  Well, I guess I can't actually prove that!