fot

Re: King bearings

To: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: King bearings
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:14:29 +1300
AFAIK King are a well respected manufacturer of engine components in
Israel - for some bearing applications they supply two grades with the heavy
duty ones being the equivalent of the original Vandervall where the bearing
surface is cast on rather than 'normal' quality where the surface is pressed
on. The difference is vital with hard use as the pressed on surface can lift
off - this is bad enough with mains and big ends but disastrous with thrust
washers - a small fact that has totally escaped Glacier (now owned by
Federal Mogul). I won't go into the long discussions I had with them after I
had seven sets fall out, suffice to say Glacier basically said they didn't
make faulty products, and if they did it wasn't their responsibility.
Stick with the King bearings which are certainly available heavy duty for
TR5/6, and their thrusts are excellent. There is an alternative big end for
the TR5/6 (and late Spitfires) which is a true lead copper bearing, made by
Glacier for the diesel engine version of the MGB.
John Kipping