fot

Re: Trunnion disassembly, archives

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trunnion disassembly, archives
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 18:58:05 -0600
Thanks for the info.  The steering stops were both missing.  I have the
front suspension off of the car and am disassembling it to clean,
inspect and paint.  Taking the springs out was not a problem.  They are
shorter springs (I have no idea what they are out of or what the spring
rate is.  Must have worked for somebody.) and with the car on the hoist
the springs have about of inch of clearance to the top of the towers.
The car sits pretty low.
     I am not taking the tub off of the frame because the previous owner
(owners?) installed a "roll cage" that goes through the body, front and
rear, and is welded to the frame.  There is also a transverse bar under
the dash welded to the cage.  It's very substantial but would appear to
give excellent protection in almost any situation (none of which my son
and I hope ever to be in!).  I would have to torch the roll cage off and
then start over and don't really see the point to it.  Even though the
car is a 1961 it is virtually rust free.  The history that we have on it
is that it was a race car almost from new.  All indications are that
that is true.
    I know there was someone on the list who offered suspension bushings
but again I did a lousy job of filing.  The bushings in now appear to be
nylon.  They are pretty hard and white in color.  They seem to be in
decent shape but I would think I'd be better off with some new
polyurethne ones.  Any opinions?  Thanks again.
    Oh, by the way, there is a steel plate welded to the front cross
member on the frame with the letter "B" embossed (raised) on it and the
number "1" stamped into it after the "B".  Any ideas what the meaning of
that is?  The body number on the plate on the right hand side of the
engine compartment is "0609CT" for what that's worth.

Tim Murphy
TR-4 CT511