fot

Re: Races at TWS

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Races at TWS
From: "rgk" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:15:35 -0600
Larry,
It was always fun racing with Orlie. He is a little more aggressive than
most of the people in Group 4, but he got that way trying to keep up with
the Big Healeys. He is a good guy. Wait until Little John finds out that you
are faster than him and his Abarth. When I finally got up to speed and began
to run in front of him, he didn't like it much. He was used to having the
yellow 3 in his mirrors. He had a couple of spectacular spins trying to cut
inside of me, going too deep off the line and spinning out the other side.
It was fun to watch, and it may be in your future as you've been running
behind him.

Did I ever tell you about the time Orlie's door opened up as I tried to pass
him at Hallett? Turn 2, the first weekend with the 4.10 gears and I was set
up just right for that course. I tucked under him when he went too wide and
just at the apex his door opens. I had to lock it down. Him being in front,
he recovered faster than I did, but we both lost the front pack for that
race!

As for turn one, it's wide and fast, and everybody has a different route
through there. Some guys, mostly the fast cars, stay on the straight late
and drive through the turn the long way at higher speed.  The slower cars
try to enter the turn early, keep it tighter and shorten up the distance.
Most take it down the middle and slide to the outside to set up for turn 2.
The only thing that is important is knowing what the cars close to you,
front and back, are doing and working in and around their lines (and
watching for big screw-ups ahead of you if you aren't near the front). If
you were in front of him, he should have been watching your line and picked
his spot better. If you were passing him on the outside and you cut down
into his line, he may have had a point. As fast as you must have been going
into turn one I doubt you could have cut down on him or completed one of
those darting blocking moves, so I suspect he was just surprised and caught
off guard that you were even there, and simply thought you should have
stayed wider. Group 4 is pretty spread out, and he hasn't been out there
with a large group very often. You guys have started a racing relationship!

Bob Kramer
rgk@flash.net