fot

Fw: Virus Advisory 022503

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Virus Advisory 022503
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:52:16 -0800
from my data security advisor.

fyi.

M. Dunst

General Information
There is a new computer worm that was discovered 2/23 , called W32/Lovgate@M ,
which is rated a medium threat by almost all virus vendors/watchers.    This
worm essentially will propagate via e-mail and network shares, and it drops a
Trojan horse (back door program),  and will try to crack your windows password
(easy combination of password for example abc123, password, 123456)  which may
allow the virus writer to have full control of the infected computer.   Some
e-mails are constructed like a legitimate business e-mail, so please be
careful. The virus contains its own SMTP engine, which it uses to deliver its
email. When activated, the virus may try to reply to any emails it finds in
the recipient's in-box, attaching itself to the email.

Below are some helpful information about the worm.

Virus Information

 W32/Lovgate@M  is a mass-mailing worm that spreads via email and open network
shares.  There is a possibility that the worm may ask users to download a
Trojan horse (back door program) that might allow the virus writer to have
complete control of a user's machine.

Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows
XP, Windows Me