fot

Re: Head Sealing Problem - more info

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Sealing Problem - more info
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:27:30 -0600
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried to give all the symptoms and
information, but forgot a few.  The car was running hot this past weekend,
but in the October races the ambient temperature was much cooler (maybe 40
to 50 degrees) and part of the time I was breaking in the engine.  It was
blowing water into the overflow even when the temperature didn't go over
190.  I realize there could be localized steam pockets even at 190.   I'm
pretty sure I've got a good cap. I was running a 7 psi cap most of the time,
which should give a boiling point above 230 with straight water.  I tried a
13 psi cap on the last race.  With the 13 psi cap, I believe it was blowing
past the seals in the water pump, because water was sprayed all over the
engine and I didn't get any water in the overflow bottle.  I did manage to
get to full torque when I retorqued the head, it just seemed that one didn't
get there as quickly as it should.  The head I'm running has been milled
0.160.

Before I take the head off, I'll pressure test it again and check to see if
I'm still at full torque.
Larry