fot

Re: Lead Fuel Additive...

To: Randall Young <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Lead Fuel Additive...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 09:33:29 -0700
Randall Young wrote:

> > Just curious if anyone has tried this stuff?? Any comments??
> >
> > http://www.kemcooil.com/lead_supreme.php
>
> I've never heard of it before, but there's an interesting comment on their
> web site :
> >>>
> Practically all the lead content is burned and deposited on the valves and
> valve seats, leaving the environment virtually lead free. The sun quickly
> decomposes any remaining traces of lead.
> <<<
>
> This statement is absurd.  If they're willing to lie about what happens to
> the lead oxide, what else are they lying about ?

Likely, they are being very disingenuous here--photolysis of tetraethyl
lead is known, but the ultimate residue is still lead oxide or ionic
lead. Info on degradation of tetraethyl lead can be found in the
appendix of this document:

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/exposure/docs/trichem.pdf

I also think it's highly suspect of them not to include a legal
disclaimer on use--adding any lead compound to fuels used on the street
is currently banned, I believe.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.