fot

RE: BRITISH CAR MAGAZINE

To: "'Brett Johnson'" <356drb@indy.net>, BillDentin@aol.com,
Subject: RE: BRITISH CAR MAGAZINE
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:32:03 -0800
Most of this terminology springs from horse carriages, which had some even
more arcane terminology stretching back to when Ogg put a landau roof on
his oxcart, and Claudius' cabriolet chariot.  Borrowing both from the
English tendancy to name things oddly (washing up soap--huh?), and the
French unwillingness to use any name that sounds somewhat English, the
names may have possessed some logic at one time, but that was a long time
ago. Add to the mix the necessity for professional bullshit artists like
me (marketers) to name the same old crap in a new and exciting way every
year, and you have instant Babel.

Don't try to sort it out--the Lord might smite the heck out of you and
none of us would be able to talk via email without translation.