fot

Another Perpsective On SARs Situation In Toronto From W.H.O.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Another Perpsective On SARs Situation In Toronto From W.H.O.
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:27:30 EDT
The following are excerpts from news coverage on AOL. It seems to suggest
that the situation in Toronto is different than the CDC announcment in that
the cases are not limited to health care workers. It states:

Today, we're recommending that people who have unnecessary travel to Shanxi,
to Beijing and to Toronto postpone that travel if possible because, as was
the case for Hong Kong and Guangdong, these areas now have quite a high
magnitude of disease, a great risk of transmission locally - outside of the
usual health workers - and also they've been exporting cases to other
countries,'' said Dr. David Heymann, WHO's communicable diseases chief.

"Toronto last week had an exportation which set up a cluster of five cases in
health workers in another country. This is what called it again to our
attention,'' Heymann said from Thailand.

He would not say where the disease had spread to from the Canadian city or
the two locations in China. Toronto has reported 136 SARS cases, while
Beijing has reported 482 cases. In Shanxi, just to the west of the capital,
120 people have been reported ill.