fot

RE: Peyote Rocks!!

To: "'Chuck Arnold'" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Subject: RE: Peyote Rocks!!
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:35:15 -0700
It is possible that you can run your TR6 at SOVREN events. While the site
says otherwise, typically the qualification is not by actual production
year but by model introduction for cars that didn't change much (which
certainly applies to TR6). I recommend that you double-check with the
Competition Chairman, Starke Shelby at (425)-483-5758. They might allow
you to make changes to a TR6 that was physically produced in 74 to make it
qualify as a 69. I don't know what those changes might be other than
bumper designs. There isn't anything technical that I'm aware of. Other
than that, toss a roll cage in, get some driving lessons, and go! There's
a fine tradition of trailering your racing tires behind your daily driver
that still lives in Sovren. I've been tempted to build my cheater TR3 into
that kind of car. There's a guy who races a very fast Healy 3000 who does.
He has a top-level AAA membership that tows him home on the rare occasion
that he busts something.

Sovren used to be very loose about rules until the Porsche guys got into a
snit about all the engine fiddling going on in that group. Porsche folks
tend to wear their undies a few sizes too tight. If nothing else you can
race in SCCA vintage grids, which accept anything short of 2003. I could
probably qualify my Radical in the SCCA vintage. The only downside is that
it's typical SCCA racing--no social aspect. Veni, Racem, Departum (I came,
I raced, I departed) as Julius Penske might say.

Peyote is a TR3 in drag. 1959 TR3 running gear and frame, with a tube
structure grafted on over it and a body made from surplus road sign
material without benefit of a compound curve. Pretty it's not, but it's
also not slow.

You should try to make the spring Sprints (may 10-11) for a low-key event,
or the Pacific Northwest Historics July 4-5-6 for a more exotic event.
They get a great draw with lots of wonderful cars to look at because the
Portland Historics is the next weekend at PIR. Both July events feature
car corrals for the car clubs, parties, and the PNW usually has some great
garage touring--either at John Shirley and Greg Whitten's garages (packed
full of every Ferrari you ever lusted after) or at the Pat Hart collection
(packed full of every car you ever lusted after, including the TR250K, the
flying shingle, and lots of other wonderful toys).