fot

external oil feed tidbits

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: external oil feed tidbits
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
I've run an external oil feed on my Triumphs for a while; when I got my
TR4A, one of the first jobs I did was replace the rocker bushes because
they were so worn I couldn't get oil pressure. I vowed never to have
that happen again.

But lately I've been getting a bunch of oil in the exhaust, especially
just off idle. Watching the rockers through the oil filler, I saw big
squirts of oil coming out of the rocker feed holes. My working theory
is that this is too much oil, leading to oil vapor that's getting
sucked through the PCV.

I had heard, some time back, that one really wants to run less oil
than is supplied as stock - and that to do this, you get a banjo bolt
that has a smaller feed hole. I was pretty sure I had done this,
but I wrote to Moss Europe/TriumphTune to confirm. They told me I need

Restricted UNC Banjo Bolt for R/Feed
Part Number TT1026D
Cost # 5.24

I tried to get them to tell me the critical dimensions of this part, so I
could check whether I had it in place ... but the line went dead, so
to speak. Oh well.

Tonight, I dug in and took the line off. My intent was to remove it
completely, and I did. I also found that I already had the restricted
feed in place - at the head.

I put back the original screws. Hey, these aren't the same length? Parts
book seems to indicate that the short one goes in the head, which makes
a certain amount of sense.

Start up - no visible oil at all. Damn, I don't want that.

Light goes on. With the restriction at the head end, the full volume
is being pumped into the hose, and coming out at the head end at
higher pressure since it's got to move through a smaller hole.

Put the restriction at the gallery end.

And indeed, that seems to have worked. I'm getting a nice puddle of
oil on top of the visible rocker, but no squirting.

Definitely seems better. Tomorrow I'll see if the oil smoke is reduced;
I sure hope so!

chris