fot

Re: BIG MOTOR

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: BIG MOTOR
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 18:00:45 -0600
Bill Babcock wrote:

> Holy smokes, what do you suppose they use it for? I was a nuclear reactor
> operator on board the enterprise, and our main turbines generated 70,000
> shaft horsepower each (we had four of them). What in heck do you do with
> 100,000.

This:

http://www.expo21xx.com/maritime21xx/8940_st2_marine-engine-builder/default.htm

Enterprise needed to get up and go pretty quick for a big ship, and had a
fairly high speed, yes?

Shaft speed must have been fairly high.

Container ships, well, I suppose they require something with more torque than
high-end speed. And I guess you'd have some
torque available with a 1.3 million cubic inch diesel.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.