fot

Car Accident

To: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Car Accident
From: J Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 20:02:59 -0700
A few hours ago I was in a car accident. There was nothing I could have
done.  A teenager coming out of our local high school just drove right
into the street and right into the car I was driving.  Just as mobile
homes seem to attract tornados, Triumphs and new cars seem to attract
drivers that aren't paying attention.   My Triumph was spared, I was
driving my Mom's 2003 Mercedes, with less than 3000 miles on the odometer.

There was full deployment of side impact air bags.  They slapped my arm
good and whacked my ear, but the alternative might have been my head in
the door glass.  I don't know.  It was a good impact and quite dramatic,
but all at relatively low speed.   While I think the air bags were
incredible, I'm not sharing the story to just dramatize their
importance...  it's something else.

This was my 72 year old mom's car, that I happened to be driving.  (She
was in the passenger seat.)  Immediately after the impact, just like in
the commercials, a voice came on in the car, "This is On-Star, we have
notice of an air bag deployment, is everyone okay?"   This kind sounding
woman asked all the right questions, called the police for us, called
the auto club, and of course, offered to get an ambulance, etc., which,
fortunately, we did not need.

The driver of the other car was also unhurt and it looks like she was
insured.   The Mercedes was damaged, but it can be repaired.   What
really came out of this was incredible peace of mind for my mother and
I.  We both knew she had this service, but this really drove it home.
 When her car is back, she'll know that there's this guardian angel
there, ready to help (also at a push of a button), and I'll feel so much
better knowing my brothers and I got her into a car with such safety
features.  Having a cell phone in the car just isn't the same
particularly in the confusion that follows an accident.

This all said, of course, I will still drive my 67 TR 4A, with
aeroscreens, and enjoy the wind in the face and all.   My advice,
however, is for anyone looking for a car for an aging parent or loved
one, family,  etc... look into this technology and don't let the cost
deter you.

--Justin Wagner