fot

Radical too radical

To: "'Charly Mitchel'" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>,
Subject: Radical too radical
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:39:34 -0700
I ache all over today. The G forces in a modern sports racer are too much
for this antique body. By the end of the race my head was rolling around
in the hard turns and I had to look for the apex sideways--not the fast
way 'round (though it was good for forth overall (two formula atlantics
and a CSR beat me) and first DSR. I think I'm going to try a Hans device
just to keep my head on straight. And I need to work out more.

Charley, I'd say you need a really good timing light--you need to be able
to read full advance at higher RPM. Not just so you can double-check your
settings, but it also helps to see if something's going sour in your
electrical system. You can get a really good RPM adjustable one for $150
these days--way less than the $500 I paid for one when they were new to
the market.

You also need to degree your cam. If you have doubts about the timing then
you should do it again. I don't know if I'd use the rockers to do it--I
usually run a long extension on my dial indicator right down to the
follower. I'm sure there a better ways, but that's how I've always done it
with pushrod motors.

I chased jets in my webers for an age before I finally fixed the fuel flow
problem. Make sure that it's no fuel flow before you do anything more
complicated. Easy stuff first--fuel flow, swap the coil or gap the plugs
way down (.010") as a test to see if you get improvement.