fot

Re: DC Solo II National Tour

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DC Solo II National Tour
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:46:07 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,

I've signed up for the SCCA Solo II "National Tour" event in Washington DC
which will be held the weekend of June 21/22 at FedEx stadium (which
appears to be on the Landover, MD side of things).

No big deal there.

There seems to be some question about site security for this site (and
presumably for the immediate area (including hotels). That said, I trying
to come up with a "plan" to get there and back with all my "stuff" (as
opposed to leaving some things there against my will). There is precious
little info from the organizers, but the rumor is that site physical
security is non-existant and that the entire site needs to be emptied each
day.

So, I'd like to ask this list if they have any recommendations about the
greater Washington, DC area with respect to safety and trying to avoid
theft etc. Don't suggest carrying firearms, I don't "do" that.

While I'm at it, I'll throw out a general invite to anyone that wants to
come to the event and (possibly) help out running the car. My initial
schedule is to arrive in the area late in the day on Thursday the 19th and
then make it to the site sometime during the day on Friday. There are test
and tune runs available on Friday so I can set the car up and then the
competition is Sat. and Sun. If you just want to come watch, that's kool,
you just need to follow normal SCCA site protocal (sign the waiver and
wear the credentials), but this is not a "spectator event", so you need to
tell the gate folks that you're helping me out (or whatever).

FWIW, there will be actual competition in the FP class again in the form
of Porsche driver (and most excellent race photographer) David Newman.
He's a very good driver and a pretty good guy (despite his choice of
steed). :-)

Thanks in advance,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |