fot

Fwd: 15" 60-series radials for Vintage and Club Racing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: 15" 60-series radials for Vintage and Club Racing
From: JFrymark@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:33:09 EDT
FOT'rs,

Yokohama confirmed to me that the subject of re-starting A008R production in
15" sizes is dead. The thread on the Dunlop tire is encouraging but doesn't
sound like an equivalent tire, especially from a price standpoint. I received
a reply from a Hoosier product manager (attached) saying they don't think
there is sufficient demand due to vintage racing org. regulations to make a
DOT radial to fit TRs.

I hope we can settle this question for Hoosier by providing "market research"
. If you would take the time to e-mail Mike Kraemer (<A
HREF="mailto:mkraemer@hoosiertire.com";>mkraemer@hoosiertire.com</A>
) and let him know if your race organization would allow the Hoosier R3S03
(spec follows), maybe we can help him make a final determination on extending
the size range. If you copy me, I'll keep a tally of our replies. And don't
hesitate to forward this to club racers that could boost support. This is
going to be a decision based on economics/ROI.

John Frymark
VARA EP #67 TR4A

The Hoosier R3S03 and A3S03 radials are Hoosier's latest generation of DOT
legal competition tires. The R3S03 (Racing) tire features a tread compound
suitable for track and road racing applications, while the A3S03 (Autocross)
tire features a tread compound tuned for autocross competition. The Hoosier
R3S03 and A3S03 are the lightest of the DOT legal competition tires.

All Hoosier Sports Car DOT radials have passed DOT requirements but have a
special tread compound to facilitate racing. Due to this special compound,
these tires are not suitable for highway use as the expected miles of wear of
these tires is greatly reduced.

The R3S03 and A3S03 tires feature an asymmetric tread design (which looks
directional, but isn't) and can be used on either side of the car. They are
molded with a tread depth of just 4/32" so they will not require shaving for
competition, however they will benefit from heat cycling before competition
to enhance wear and provide more consistent performance.

The R3S03 and A3S03 have a symmetric internal construction that features
nylon cord radial carcass plies reinforced by two fiberglass belts and a
circumferential nylon cap ply under the tread. While the R3S03 and A3S03 have
an inflated shape with rounded shoulders to better compliment camber
challenged cars, they still benefit from vehicle alignments that offer
significant negative camber. Be sure to read Hoosier Tire Care Tips for
advice on the use of these tires.

Hoosier R3S03 and A3S03 tires feature black sidewall styling with subtle
black letters. They are Z-speed rated and available in 60-, 55-, 50-, 45-,
40, 35- and 30-series sizes for 13" to 18" wheel diameters