fot

RE: hub removal TR3A-6

To: "'Catpusher@aol.com '" <Catpusher@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: hub removal TR3A-6
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:08:56 -0700
 I've always used a press. I'm sure Hardy is right about it being a bad
thing, but it's what I got.  I heat the joint lightly, presoak with
penetrating oil, heat it again next day until the oil smokes, and press
with a good jig to support the flange. Usually there's no drama, though
I've had one stubborn one that zinged the axle around the shop a bit.

I clean the parts well after (bead blaster with plastic media) and dye
penetrant test. Sometimes I magnaflux as well, though I can do the
penetrant testing here. I should set up a magnaflux system--it's not that
tough.