fot

Re: front spindles

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: front spindles
From: "T.R. Scratchings" <wob@dandrade.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:30:22 +0100
I have the solution - the anti-knock-off kit. Costs #32 , new stock arriving
in the next few weeks. Takes about 15 min per side to fit, and will stop
knock off on 12" x 1.25" rotors, where previously the rotors were machining
the calipers away! The RPV's, and anti-knock springs behind pistons are
useless. One other vital check for all of you: make absolutely sure that the
felt seal is to original thickness. 90% of repro versions are way too thick,
allowing the correct torque setting on the spindle to be reached before the
bearings are seated in their races. I see loads of TR's with this fault, all
exhibiting vague steering and soggy brake pedals.
  Finally, a tighter pedal can be easily achieved by fitting new drums-
makes a big difference in travel.
    Look forward to seeing some pics of Mosport!