fot

Re: Limited slip Diff questions - part II

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: Limited slip Diff questions - part II
From: "T.R. Scratchings" <wob@dandrade.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:45:24 +0100
This is quite common on Salisbury equipped cars: the clutch action locks the
side gears on the spline as they ride the ramps, which pushes the stub axle
through the bearing till it reaches the shoulder on the stub. On some axles,
it's enough to allow the seal lip to slide onto the tapered end of the
output flange, allowing leakage. The solution is to remove each output
assembly, knock the bearing back up against the output flange, then measure
the distance between the bearing and the shoulder. Subtract ,say, 0.015",
then have a machine shop make up a couple of hardened washers that fit
tightly up to the shoulder. Dismantle the flange, seal housing , and bearing
from the stub, then reassemble with the washer on first. This stops the stub
from walking through the bearing more than the 0.015" allowed. Hope this
helps you.
  Jon Wood