fot

Re: spit crankshafts

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spit crankshafts
From: "Tom Strange" <tstrange@new.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:24:46 -0500
Brad,
  Anyone please correct me if I am wrong here.....
  To my knowledge, crankshaft wise, there are 4 engines... all 1147s' use
the same crankshaft.... early 1296 uses the same 1147 crank as far as
journal size (I think they may have beefed up the throws a bit).. this is
what is commonly known as the small journal crank.
Late 1296 uses a larger diameter main journal and rod journal (large journal
crank) and is a bit heavier still.  The 1500 continues with the large 1296
journal, but the crank is stroked around a1/4"....
  Warning, the 1500 crank will NOT fit a 1296 block, the stroke is too long
& it will hit the side of the block.
  Bottom line, there are two sets of bearings & thrust washers....
1147/1296, and 1296/1500.
  I believe the 1147 crank will be the lightest, & spin up the quickest,
(IMHO making it the best for racing).  Get a good balance on it & try not to
use it for engine braking any more than necessary, as it is also the
weakest.
  Hope some of this helps.

Tom Strange
#4 White