fot

Brakes Locking Up! The epilogue

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brakes Locking Up! The epilogue
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:11:02 -0700
Hey guys and gals, remember a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for
suggestions to my brake problem?  Well, today I figured it out.  It
certainly took a while and yet I still have a few hairs left on my head.

Since a couple of people indicated that they had the same problem, I
thought I'd share what I discovered.

First, when you add a Tilton Balance Bar, you have to either obtain or
fabricate new pushrods for the Master Cylinders.  I fabricated them from
bolts by selecting ones with the right threads and the correct length
and grinding the heads down to match the contour of the original ones.
What I didn't realize is that the master cylinder releases the pressure
on the line at the very end of the return stroke.  So if the clip that
holds the washer against the rounded end of the pushrod is exerting the
slightest pressure on the pushrod, it won't allow the piston to reach
the venting position and will not release the line pressure.

Once I discovered this, I ground another 1/16 inch off the rounded end
and it now suddenly works as expected.

Who said size doesn't matter?  :)

Cheers,
Joe (C)