fot

TR4 Oil Pump Shaft

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Oil Pump Shaft
From: "Peter Vucinic" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:13:57 +1000
Many thanks to all those that contributed to my TR4 Oil pump shaft problem.
Much good information and ideas were bandied about. So, to this end I have
decided on having my own pump shafts manufactured as follows: -

1. Staring with 1/2" linear bearing shaft material. Readily available 'off the
shelf', hardened, ground precision rod. Case hardened to a depth of about
1-to-1.5 mm. The material is difficult to machine. But it can be done.
2. Have the distributor shaft drive tang slot machined with a radius in the
bottom. This should be able to be accomplished using a ball nose milling
cutter.
3. Use Greg Solow's idea of drilling and taping the pump shaft and pump
rotor.
4. I am also looking at having the oil pimp body machined to take a bronze
bush, at the rotor end.

I have ordered the material(s) and I should have the finished product in a
week or so. I will advise of the end result for those of you that are
interested.
Kind Regards
Peter Vucinic
WORKS-4