fot

RE: ignition timing

To: "'Richard Taylor '" <tarch@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: ignition timing
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:28:21 -0700
 Basically that's about it. Advance til it pings and back off. Then look
at the plugs a couple of times to look for evidence of detonation. Of
course I'm putting my engine back together right now because of a
detonation-caused seizure that I didn't hear. In my defense It was only
detonating in one cylinder, and it held together through three practices
and three races.

that sounds pretty low tech, but modern anti-knock sensors are acoustic.
And they retard the ignition until the knock stops.

Speaking of anti knock--the new 360 absolutely rocks. I dumped a few
gallons on lead-free race gas in last night because I thought I might have
got a tank of bad gas. Felt like I kicked in the afterburner. What a car.