fot

Re: Subject: ignition timing

To: <Catpusher@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Subject: ignition timing
From: "kas kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:06:32 -0700
One of the problems with the stock distributor is that the shaft is easily
bent and this leads to an alternate point gap for opposite cylinders.
Checking you will see that the static timing for example the number one
cylinder is perhaps 10 degrees, but when you turn the engine over to the
number four cylinder the timing is as much as 2 or 3 degrees less or MORE.
Therefore you have an engine that is operating with either too much timing
on alternate cylinder or not enough. In the end you find that though you
have programmed only 30 degrees of total timing into the engine you are in
fact carrying 32 degrees or more on other cylinders, and those cylinders
then are more prone to detonation.

In the end the check for detonation is the window to the combustion chamber,
the spark plug. Install clean (not necessarily new) plugs or even a couple
cleaned plugs and run a lap or test length, pull the plugs and look for
carbon specks and worse yet is tiny aluminum balls.  If you find the tiny
aluminum balls on the center insulator of the spark plug, unless you
immediately do something about the timing the piston in that cylinder is not
long for this world. If you are doing this check on a race track without air
filters, do not confuse the tiny BLACK shiny balls for aluminum.  The tiny
black balls are RUBBER. They don't appear black until you look very closely
and are easily confused in appearance with aluminum which are also very
shiny.