fot

Dad and Tony

To: FOT@autox.team.net, drewseditorial@comcast.net,
Subject: Dad and Tony
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:00:50 -0500
I wasn't going to report on this weekend's race, but I just finished
watching my in-car tape (again) and can't resist giving you some statistics.

For those not familiar with "uncle jack's racing", it consists of son Tony
in a red and white TR4 and Dad in a blue and white TR4. The cars are
prepped quite differently but both are capable of about the same lap times
and speed. Both drivers are about equal, with me (ahem) being a little
better, of course.

Well, anyway, this weekend saw us at Road America. I was gridded directly
behind Tony (must be a bad transponder) for the feature race of 8 laps,
which on this four mile course takes about 24 minutes.

Now, we have all had great dices, but get this:  Tony passed Dad five
times, and Dad passed Tony six times. That sixth one came when Tony's
throttle linkage broke just two corners from the finish. Of course it broke
because he was stomping the pedal 'way too hard trying to keep in front of
Dad. At least that's MY story. Passes came by drafting and slingshotting on
the front straight, passing inside and outside in corner 5, 6, and 12 -- we
ran out of ways to do it.

To be able to race this way with my son gives me almost more joy than I can
handle.

uncle jack