fot

Re: Interesting tire info

To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interesting tire info
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:39:55 EST
In a message dated 11/30/2003 9:20:01 PM Central Standard Time,
Ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> Given that I only drive on the street, anyone care to theorize over whether
> a tire with a somewhat higher treadwear rating would be less prone to
> getting hard through heat cycling ?

Amici:

The age and tread wear issues not withstanding, how big an issue is WEIGHT?
I am a contractor, and the tires we use on our equipment trailers are 10 ply
tires specifically designated as trailer tires.  Heavy loads.  No problems.

I wonder how often we racers 'overload' our vehicles/tires with all the crap
we choose to carry.  I used to tow my open trailer with a Chevrolet Astro Van,
which has the highest GVW trailer towing capacity of all the mid-sized vans.
But if you dig into the fine print, that GVW rating has to accommodate
everything...passengers, cargo, etc., etc.  Does this same issue apply to tires?

I have always bought the BEST trailer tires I could buy for my trailers, and
in all the years I've been towing, I have never had a failure.

Bill Dentinger