fot

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:49:21 EST
Dear FOT:

Some of you expressed an interest in running in the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand
Prix this year.  I attended a Western, PA Triumph Association meeting on
December 13, 2003.  At that time there was a lot of discussion that more cars
were
needed for this event (even Triumphs), but some of the rules were
disqualifying many Triumphs racing in vintage groups.  On January 7, 2004, I
took a copy
of Jeff Snook's message to the SCCA Steel Cities Region meeting to show Mike
Connolly (McB Autos, 412-221-1922, bmconnolly@hotmail.com), who is on the
organization committee for the PVGP.  The following is a paragraph from Jeff's
message:

> Group 4, one of our new groups needs to meet all of the VSCCA rules but
cannot exceed certain bounds either.  For example, no slicks, no flares, no
> full cages, there will be a strict tire rule, at present Goodyear Blue
> Streaks, Dunlop L & R, Hoosier Vintage T/D & Hoosier's Street "legal"
> vintage tire. The cars may not exceed the SCCA rules for the car as was
> printed in the competition rule book printed spring 1964.

My argument was that many vintage racers have gone the extra mile to install
roll cages for extra safety, and are not going to take them out of their cars
for a race.  If I remember correctly, roll cages were not required until about
ten years ago for SCCA, but there were no rules against installing them.  In
other words, any equipment that increased the safety of the car was not to be
discouraged.

Mike told me that the roll cage issue is still being discussed, and that no
final decision has of yet been made.  He then suggested that the web page
CloverLeaf.com be periodically checked.  I tried to put in this address, and it
didn't work for me.

Hope to see some of you in Pittsburgh.  Good luck.