fot

Re: Adhesive Sticker and Number Removal - Now Number "4" & "44"

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adhesive Sticker and Number Removal - Now Number "4" & "44"
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:47:00 -0600
>        For years I have been thinking that the Triumph race cars had the
> number 4 and 44 because the drivers really liked the legacy of Group 44,
now I
> find out the Triumph racers were just being very practical.
>
> Cary

And the story of why the number on the rear of the cars were backwards (and
became the Group 44 logo with a backwards 44): In those days numbers were
usually cut out of Contact paper. The cutter traced the number on the back
of the paper face up instead of face down. Tullius had the backwards number
put on the back of the car.

>Wouldn't 1, 10, 101, 11, 111 have been easier than 4, 44 etc.
>
>Charly

Yeah, except every other lazy (or scissor-challenged) number-maker has
already taken them

>  I also had several cars numbered 4 or 14. With GTP Nissan we used 83
cause
>it could be changed to 88,33, 38, 8, 3 at will and easily. Used the 3 one
>time at Atlanta.
>
>Kas Kastner

I did not originally begin running "4" for Group 44 -- my birthday is the
13th but 13 was taken, so 1+3=4. But now my tail numeral is backwards as a
nod to  Group 44. It turned out that a single-digit number was very useful,
as Kas noted, for having the flexibility to change numbers easily by adding
a digit. I have also turned the 4 into a 9 quite easily. Planning ahead for
possible number changes is a wise practice.

--Rocky Entriken