fot

RE: TR6 drum brakes

To: "'Walt Hollowell'" <walt@hot-tr6.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 drum brakes
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:32:11 -0800
...I have purchased a pair of Brembo aluminum finned with steel insert rear
drum brakes that fit a 240Z but I want to modify them for my TR6. I have
read Kas Kastner's book on page 223 about the  modifications that are
needed. Does anyone wish to offer other bits of wisdom to help guide me in
this project? Wish me luck. Walt Abq,. NM...

Walt,

In order to fit the 240Z drums to a "6", you need to open up the center hole
a bit and have the rear "lip" machined off the drums (interferes with the TR
backing plate).  Or, if you have not proceeded with any mods to the drums,
you may want to just return them and buy a set of Autospecialty P/N EBD-044R
"aluminum replacement drums".  Autospecialty is a division of TRW.  The
EBD-044R is a 240Z casting that is already machined to fit our TRs.  An
online check shows that Auto Parts Giant (www.autopartsgiant.com) has them
for $71.53 each with free shipping, which is probably less than the Brembos
and might even be less than the machining costs (to modify the Brembos).  If
you want to see what they look like, go to
http://www.vintageprep.com/drum.html . And of course, I have NFI in any of
the companies I listed in this email.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber