fot

Mating Question (overdrives to transmission that is)

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mating Question (overdrives to transmission that is)
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:43:22 -0600
For some reason, I've been designated the transmission/overdrive guy for
our club (Green Country Triumphs).  I've got a problem mating a J-type
overdrive to a transmission.  The splines appear to be lined up, but
must be just slightly off.  I've discovered that on an A-type you can
engage the overdrive with air pressure and get the splines to turn
relative to each other.  I don't know how to do it with a J-type.  The
springs are already in place, so it is difficult to make it engage, and
I don't know if this would work the same way anyway.  I'd appreciate advice.
Thanks,
Larry Young