fot

f.s. HS2 carb setup for spitfire mk3/4/1500

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: f.s. HS2 carb setup for spitfire mk3/4/1500
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:53:53 -0800
I thought I'd offer this to the group before I put it on ebay because I'd
rather see them go to a good home.

Manifold - ported and polished - I think there could be more work done to it
especially in the splitter area but it is nice work - not done by me
the cross over is not blocked
This manifold is for the 4 port head.

Carb details:
CC needles - these will be quite rich (stock needles were either BO or DD's,
relative richness of a BO/DD is 20% at full throttle a CC is 42%) - if you
don't want them I'll keep them and use them as the rich needle for the new
setup)
new .090 jets - I don't know if I like them they use a rubber hose between
the bowl and the jet - but seem ok
thinned thorttle shafts that are rivetted and soldered in place - shafts
were new 4 race weekends ago - I don't really like how they turned out
all burrs removed from the flow path
no modifications to the bridge
new bronze bushings for the shafts
new needle and seat - not grose jets
standard float covers

Heat shield that extends above and below the carbs - it isn't pretty but it
works - there is a crack (well about 2 or 3" long) at the bend on the rear
side -- but still works well

phenolic spacers are .25" thick or so and matched to the manifold.

2" velocity stacks make of spun aluminium with full radii on the ends, these
have some scuffs on them
No air cleaners - Winners Circle sells some filter socks that will work with
these.

linkage details -
linkage for the choke operation is there - the bar between the two carbs - I
never used it...just kept it rather than loosing the 6 ounces.
linkage for throttle cable is there - I don't think it is the correct setup
but I will put an old throttle cable on to show how it was working when on
the race car - it could be better. Bar between the two cars is there as well
and the throttle return springs as well.

if the needles weren't so rich I'd say that it is a bolt on and go type
deal...but as always (I were buying) I would go through them yourself to
make sure everything is how you want it, if I wasn't switching to the 1.5"
setup I would have just bolted them back onto the car and run them.  Also,
this isn't a concourse set, there are scuffs and dings from the constant
disassembly/assembly that occurs with a race car no matter how careful you
are.  I only used these for the past 2 years and before that they sat on
this car in a storage shed since 1985.

pictures available on request

Asking price $200 plus shipping.

All the best

Aaron Johnson
#38 F Production Spitfire Mk4 Oregon Region SCCA
http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.