fot

f.s. Kastner A-8 Cam and ported cylinder head for spitfire

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: f.s. Kastner A-8 Cam and ported cylinder head for spitfire
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 00:47:10 -0800
for sale
A-8 cam- Stamped "kastner A-8" on the back.  Ground from a 1500 cam core
but the journals are ground for bearings.  The cam was used for 4 race
weekends (probably 8 hours max run time) and it comes the tappets
(marked for their respective lobe).  Total variation from lobe to lobe
is .002" and there is no damage to any of the lobes or tappets.  $80
plus shipping

Ported/polished cylinder head for 1296/1500 spitfire or midget.  1.44"
intakes 1.17" exhausts.  I'm not sure who did the port work but it is
nicely done and combustion chambers are nicely done.  #3 cylinder
apparently had some issues at one point or another but  has been
repaired and ran well on the car.  Combusion chamber CC is 23 or 24
(just a quick check) which yields somewhere between 13:1 adn 13.5:1
using .030" gasket thickness, zero deck height and .040" overbore.  This
head was one the car when I bought it and the SCCA rules where a little
more vauge then and big valves were "allowed" on the 1296.  With the
2002 re-write of the spec line to clarify it make the 1.3" valves max
for the 1296 and I don't think the head will flow well with the smaller
valves.  Uses aluminum valve collars and oversized double valve springs.
Could probably use a fresh valve job without actually going back to the
garage tonight I think it has hardened seats installed for both the
intake and exhaust.  $400 plus shipping (which seems to be about 50
bucks everywhere) obo.

All the best

Aaron Johnson
#38 F Production Spitfire Mk4 Oregon Region SCCA
http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9